Every year, beginning in November or so, year in review articles and top 10 lists start popping up all over the Internet. Things like the Top 10 Inventions, Top 10 Cars, Top 10 Franchises, and the Top 10 Odd Environmental Ideas will entertain and inform or bore the reader into creating a 10 Worst Top 10 Lists list. Either way, it’s a positive in the end. Speaking of positives, we’ve had a good year here at the Northwest Florida Regional Airport, so we are going to give you a top list; a top 7 list, that is. Here are, in no particular order, the…
Top 7 VPS Victories in 2011
· Added Vision Airlines to carriers – Initially serving the markets of Niagara Falls, NY, Miami, and Destin, FL, the airline has helped make air travel more affordable and provided several destination options for visitors flying in and out of VPS.
· Had a record breaking year – During the fiscal year that recently ended, VPS set a record with more than 900,000 passengers flying into or out of the airport. The previous record, which had stood since 2000, was shattered by nearly 23%.
· Standard and Poors likes us – S&P review calls VPS “a small-hub airport that has demonstrated continued strong financial metrics” upgrading VPS’ rating to BBB+ from BBB.
· Went Hollywood, but stayed humble – Released in summer of 2011, Transformers: Dark of the Moon was filmed in part in the Ft. Walton Beach/Destin area and featured nearly 50 Airmen from Headquarters Air Force Special Operations Command and the 1st Special Operations Wing.
· Our director is “Aviation Professional of the Year” – In August, Greg Donovan, director of the three airports of Okaloosa County, was named “Aviation Professional of the Year” by the Northwest Florida Coast chapter of the Florida Public Relations Association.
· Helped set the local economy flying – There were 128 jobs added at the Northwest Florida Regional Airport and the airport itself had an economic impact of more than $370. Additionally, the changes at the Okaloosa County Airports System created 4,500 direct and indirect jobs in the region.
· Showed, and continue to show, our soldiers we are proud – New USO lounge for service members, veterans, and their families was opened at the airport. Snacks, a relaxing seating area, and an open venue to swap stories give soldiers and veterans a comfortable place to recharge with their families.
There you have it, our top 7 VPS Victories in 2011. Do any of your 2011 victories involve VPS or the Destin/Ft. Walton Beach area? Tell us about them on Twitter or Facebook.
Thank you all for being with us. Have a safe and happy new year.